Sunday, September 27, 2015

Reflection on Influential Technologies





Technology has had a tremendous influence on the way I live my life.  Rather than document the changes, both fundamental and complex, that the rise of technology has made my daily life, I'll instead explain how it does and always has shaped it.  Personally, I don't remember the days when I couldn't use the internet for a book report or call my mom to pick me up after soccer practice.  Sure I didn't get my first cell phone until the sixth grade, but I don't know how much texting I would have been doing before that anyway.  What did I have to say to my friends that couldn't be said over AOL?  Technology, therefore, is not so groundbreaking to me as it is to let's say my parents, or my teachers.  What has changed, however, and what continues to change, is my familiarity with and my ability to utilize all that technology has to offer.  As I grow older, I'm not necessarily being introduced to new technologies that I've never before heard of, however, I am realizing their utility with respect to my own life and future career aspirations.  With that being said, here are three technologies that have provided exceptional utility not only for me personally, but will eventually provide professional utility as well.  

Perhaps one of the most helpful technological tools for me from a pure learning perspective has been the ability to record and upload instructional videos.  While studying for the GRE I spend countless hours on youtube watching instructional math videos from both Magoosh (GRE test prep site) and Khan Academy.  I often couldn't understand or at least fully grasp a mathematical concept from the book or the examples provided and so often times I had to consult these videos.  The ability to pause and rewind, essentially to go at your own pace, made learning so much easier.  I've also had teachers in college who have utilized this technology in similar ways.  I once took a summer course in astronomy and was relieved of having to drive to the campus because the professor posted his lectures online.  

The ability to access information has made learning and exploration not only easy, but fun.  The internet allows you to access information and opinions from a variety of sources, giving you a holistic perspective on the issue at hand.  It has been a long time since I've needed to check a book out from the library in order to get information on a topic (although I have).  Personally, this is the biggest advantage that technology has provided society.  Not only has it made our lives easier, but we are more informed because of it.  With respect to the students interviews in the video, it seems as though they are more concerned, or at least more interested in the social benefits that technology has provided.  Perhaps because I grew up in the pre-iphone era I, contrary to those students, do not have my phone attached at my hip.  While it has proven to be a very valuable resource, I am not as involved in social media, nor do I seem to text as much as the younger people in the video.  

The ability to communicate with people instantaneously has brought us closer together while at the same time driving us apart.  Texting has enabled us to communicate with anyone, anywhere, which has, to its credit, made us more productive in general, however, the quality of our interactions has suffered.  Texting and instant messaging for me is more of a love hate relationship.  The young adults in the video love that they're able to communicate with their friends and family through technology, and so do I, however, I think that its causing us to become less social and more intimidated by real human interaction.  Strictly speaking we never have to have another in person conversation with anyone ever again, and I think sometimes we take advantage of this fact either because were too lazy or too scared.   We've become dependent on a mode of communication that will only negatively affect our ability to form and build meaningful relationships with people in the future.  

I fully anticipate using all three aforementioned technologies in my career as a teacher.  Videos will provide supplemental instruction to struggling students, I will teach them to access the full potential of the internet and the information it makes available, and I will encourage the use of electronic communication that makes us more productive while at the same time fostering an environment where social skill and relationship building are emphasized.  

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you Dan as it seems that while you believe that technology serves us well for the most part (I too have used it to my advantage in terms of studying, GRE prep, and finding rides to and from school related practices and social events... I'll admit to having "Hit my brother up" for rides to and from MSU as recently as last week!), you also see how the quality of our interactions are suffering as we continue to become more and more reliant on forms of digital communication. While we value efficiency as a culture, I think we sometimes fail to forget that it comes at a cost; in this case, sacrificed quality of the interpersonal relationships that we maintain as well as diminished confidence in our communicative competencies (Aside from our abilities to construe the perfectly formulated emoji filled text message of course).

    ReplyDelete