Saturday, September 19, 2015

Pew Survey Results: Teachers' Technology Use

Of the survey data presented in PEW’s report, I think the most surprising to me is the finding that AP and NPW teachers are more likely to have and use social media sites than their non teaching adult counterparts.  In my experience, teachers avoid these kinds of sites because they are afraid of being contacted or hassled by students.  The fact that younger teachers are more likely to use social media sites, however, is not as surprising.  While I have yet to teach, I’d imagine that my classroom would be one that embraced the technologies available to today’s teachers.  I agree with the 19% of teachers that say they don’t allow cell phones in school, however, I do think the use of laptops and tablets with website restrictions for note taking, fact checking, and general research purposes is beneficial.  With respect to the accuracy of the survey data it seems that as the years go by and as older teachers are being replaced with newer, younger teachers, the use of technology is only rising, and I expect this trend to continue.  My brother just started high school and every freshman received a school issued MacBook Air.  If that isn’t  a sign of what is to come, then I don’t know what is.

1 comment:

  1. Daniel,
    As you described, the results in the survey about almost ⅔ of teachers under 35 felt “very confident” about their tech skills--compared to 44% of teachers older than 55 clearly shows a “digital” generation gap among teachers. You are part of a new generation of teachers who will be entering the profession with a powerful skill set. As you continue to move forward in your coursework, think about how you could share your knowledge with colleagues who may not be as technologically adept.

    ReplyDelete